With a Spanish origin and an Italian name, Horchata water is one of the most refreshing and preferred beverages of Mexican cuisine.
It can be found at any place in Mexico and it’s used as an accompaniment for tacos as well as flautas (a kind of taco) and corrida food; it can be consumed just by itself to relieve hot temperatures.
This is why it has become such a popular drink that has spread beyond Mexican borders and it can be prepared and consumed worldwide, even in our kitchens at home.
This is why we have chosen this recipe for today, a healthy, quick-to-make and refreshing option that you will love for its sweet, soft and nice taste.
How to make Horchata?
An important trick you must be aware of when preparing Horchata water is that you must have a well-refined strainer.
This way, you can prevent the rice portion from being part of the preparation and spoiling the result.
You can let the rice soak during the whole previous night before preparing the water. This way, the next day the rice will be softer.
And don’t forget to use pre-cooked rice.
- 1 cup of long grain rice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ a cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 5 cups of evaporated milk
- 1 ½ cups of boiling water
- ½ a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon
Elaboración paso a paso
- First, soak the rice in boiling water, making sure the water covers it completely and add the cinnamon stick. Let it rest for at least 5 hours.
- After this time, add it to the blender and blend until these ingredients are well-mixed and crushed.
- Drain the preparation and pour it into a jar. Add the milk, the vanilla scent and the sugar. You can add a bit more water.
- Before drinking, add some ice cubes and decorate sprinkling powdered cinnamon over it.
Video de Cómo Hacer
- Capirotada - April 26, 2020
- Pozole Rojo - April 25, 2020
- Chilaquiles Verdes - April 21, 2020