From Mexico to all over the world, tacos al pastor is an essential snack to enjoy with family and friends.
They are probably the most famous tacos enjoyed in the country, and for all Mexicans living in a foreign country, having these tacos feels like being at home.
This is the reason we are going to teach you how to prepare homemade tacos al pastor, authentic as if they were from taco stalls.
Don´t lose even a detail of this preparation, because although it takes some steps, it is very simple to prepare and it’s worth every minute you wait for it.
How to prepare tacos al pastor?
To prepare authentic tacos al pastor with pure Mexican style, you need to take several steps into consideration which will affect the result.
First, the meat must be marinated for the whole night or at least 4 hours with typical Mexican ingredients in order to get a strong flavor.
Second, the quality of the corn tortillas will be better if they are homemade, so you will prepare tacos al pastor 100% homemade.
For the third and last step, we must take into consideration the seasoning we will add at the end to intensify its flavor and enjoy true tacos al pastor, where we can’t miss the pineapple, the onion, coriander and the sauce.
About the cooking method, the traditional way is preparing them in a roast, piling the meat in a vertical position, while it turns around and cooks in front of the fire.
But what if we do not have a roast? Won’t we be able to enjoy delicious homemade tacos al pastor?
The good news is that, indeed, there are several ways to prepare them simulating the flavor we would get if we would have prepared them in the traditional way.
One of them is the oven roaster: we place the sliced meat interspersed with sliced pineapples as if they were on a brochette, and let it them cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Another way, which may be the most common in our homes, is using a frying pan or grill with one or two spoons of hot oil, depending on its size.
This last one is the one we are going to use today, and we assure you it will be marvelous.
Tacos al pastor recipe
- pan, grill
For the stuffing
- 1 ½ kg of thin pork tenderloin steaks 1/3 inch thick
- ¼ of sliced pineapples
- ½ of an onion
- Salt and pepper as desired
For the seasoning
- 6 guajillo chili
- 1 dry chipotle
- 2 cans of chipotle
- 5 garlic cloves
- ¼ of an onion
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of apple vinegar
- 4 bell peppers
- 10 black peppers
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon of oregano
- ¼ teaspoon of cumin
- ¼ teaspoon of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup of apple vinegar
- Corn tortillas
- Finely cut coriander as desired
- Finely cut onion as desired
- Taquera sauce
- Lemon juice as desired
Elaboración paso a paso
- The first thing is to cut the guajillo chili in small pieces and take the seeds out. Set them aside.
- Now we will prepare the seasoning, in hot oil fry the garlic and the onion, add the dry chipotle so it soaks in some oil.
- When it starts getting hydrated, it will inflate, at this point reduce the heat and add the cut guajillo chili and the bay leaves. Stir constantly to prevent it from sticking.
- Then we mix water and the vinegar and we add it to the seasoning, cover it up and let it cook on low heat for 10 minutes. When it has finished, let it cool at room temperature.
- In the meantime, put all the spices in the mortar, the pepper, the cloves, the ginger, oregano and cumin. When they are well-crushed, set them aside to use them later.
- Now it is time to blend the seasoning with all the crushed spices, the chipotle, the achiote, the salt and the apple vinegar. When there aren’t any more big pieces, it’s ready and we set it aside.
- Next, season the pork steaks with salt and pepper and the seasoning on both sides. Cover them up and put them in the fridge for the whole night.
- The next day, slice all the meat in fine slices as well as the pineapple. Sprinkle 2 spoons of oil over a grill, and cook the meat until it gets brown for 10 minutes, more or less. Remove the seasoning that may stick to the grill using a spatula.
- Cook the slice pineapple on the grill too, until it gets a bit brown on both sides, and set them aside.
- Cut the onion into julienne strips and sauté for a minute and then add to the already-cooked meat and pineapple.
- Now is the moment to serve the tacos al pastor, and for that we need corn tortillas, we add the mixture we just cooked, along with coriander and onion as desired. We can also add taquera sauce and some drops of lemon juice as desired.
Video de Cómo Hacer
- Capirotada - April 26, 2020
- Pozole Rojo - April 25, 2020
- Chilaquiles Verdes - April 21, 2020